- About Us
- Plan Room Login
The Dundee Bank has opened its newest bank branch in the Blackstone District in the building that was originally built as the National Refining Company in 1930 as a new service station by White Rose Oil Company. It then became longtime home to McFoster’s Natural Kind Café, who closed their doors in 2014. The idea was to bring the old building back to life.
We worked with The Architectural Offices in bringing back the original façade of the building to its days as a gas station. The structure mimics the garage doors that were in place on both sides of the main office. Three of the exterior light fixtures were fabricated to match one of the original light fixtures that remains.
The drywall on the interior was taken down to reveal the covered original tile wall, and featured in the lobby is the original quarry tile floor that was cleaned up and restored back to life. A modern canopy drive-up window separate from the main building was added, along with the installation of a new HVAC system.
The Hotel Flatiron building, a Nationally Registered Historic Place, is located at the convergence of Howard Street and St. Mary’s Avenue in Omaha, Nebraska. Built in 1912, this iconic building has been many things: a bustling hotel, a busy office space, and a mobster hotspot in the ’20s and ’30s.
In the spring of 2015, Dicon historically renovated the building and converted the upper three floors of the nearly 40,000 square feet into 30 luxury apartments. The transformation included a beautiful lobby and fully furnished atrium, spacious storage area along with a dog wash station in the basement, and a beautifully landscaped park area. The Hotel Flatiron was listed on the National Register of Historic Places which qualified the project for historic tax credits. To keep the historic integrity of the building, many features of the building were restored to its original appearance such as the lobby spiral staircase and exposed brick throughout to bring it back to its original look as a hotel.
The Barker Building, in the heart of Omaha’s downtown area, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. This seven-story building is comprised of 48 total living units on top of three retail tenants on the ground level.
The Barker Building renovation retained its original Neo-Gothic style of 1929. The marble in the lobby was restored along with plaster duplicates of the marble within the walls and the detailed ceiling decals. The terrazzo floors and travertine walls of the hallways and historic shoe store were restored. 8,500 square feet were added to the building exposing original exterior brick in some units.
Dicon renovated Gahm Block at 1202 Howard in Omaha, Nebraska into fifteen upscale apartments. Ranging from 721 square feet to 1624 square feet, the units are located on the five floors above Wheatfields restaurant. The Gahm Block has a place on the National Register of Historic Places which qualified the project for tax credits to help fund renovations. It was in the interest of the owner to maintain the historic integrity of the building.
“Re-developing a historical property is not for the weak of heart. That’s why it is so important to have a construction partner who has proven experience. No matter how well you plan and design, there are always surprises. You need construction professionals who are problem solvers on the fly. We found that in Dicon and their team. The rebirth of the Gahm Block building has been a challenge to balance historical preservation with fiscal responsibility and economic reality. Dicon has helped us meet that challenge.”
– Glenn Friendt, Gahm Block, LLC
This project included a total renovation from roof to foundation. It included all the first floor, public areas, excavation, and renovation of basement for public use. Historic tax credits were approved on this project and it is listed on the National Historic Register.
The long time vacant building was built between 1911 and 1912. The Board of Certification received tax increments because of the historic preservation work that Dicon performed. The exterior was completely restored to preserve the original historic details of the building. On the interior, office space was added the the second floor along with the installation of skylights, a 3-stop elevator, and new stairwells. A loft was constructed and rooftop deck added. Dicon was able to save the original maple hardwood floors and refinish the exposed brick interior. Dicon was able to work with the architect to value engineer the project to meet the client’s budget.
“The building is over 100 years old, there were challenges along the way, but the historic renovation expertise that Dicon provided was invaluable and allowed us to restore and preserve as much of the original detail as possible. We feel they are extremely competent in historical classifications and retentions. We found Dicon to be very professional and proficient in the management of the project and responsive to any questions or changes we had. The level of service and attention to detail, both during and after the construction period, is unsurpassed. We appreciated the time and effort that Dicon spent developing a relationship with us, understanding our needs and ensuring our satisfaction with the end project. ”
– Anne Minton, Board of Certification, Inc.
The renovation of this hotel included refurbishment of front and side elevations to original design and correction of the renovations that were made in the 1950’s. The basement area and first floor were renovated for public use. This building is located in a historic district and is listed on the National Historic Register. The financing of this project was provided by the Historic Renovation Funds.